2140 Hours/ 354 Spring Street/ Box 703/ C Platoon
Box 703 was dispatched for smoke in the residence. E7 arrived on scene along with Car 4 who confirmed smoke in the residence with an odor of Class A materials. After investigating, crews found a dryer vent that had been on fire and was still smoldering. Ladder companies vented the structure and Car 4 started releasing companies. The assignment was placed available at 2213.
While investigating the basement area of the building, crews identified ceiling joists that were charred throughout - some heavily - above a drop ceiling. Thanks to RFD Historian Anthony Miccicke for the information on the previous fire at this address. There have also been several other working fires in this particular block in the past as well.
"February 26, 1973 - Members of the Riversides, Marions, Juniors and Rainbows converged upon 354 Spring Street at 22:07 when a fire was found in the basement. Flames spread through the walls into the third floor and broke out through the roof before being brought under control. It was believed the incident began near electrical equipment. One volunteer from the Juniors, 24-year-old Edward J. Kosmerl, suffered a bruised elbow and right shoulder injuries after falling down some steps. He was treated at Community General Hospital and released."